Friday, February 4, 2011

Morrocan Chicken and Quinoa

In an effort to eat more healthy, I read my mom's new Quinoa recipe book from cover to cover the other day. I wrote down a bunch of recipes to get started, with the plan to buy some Quinoa, test if my family will actually eat it, and then go out and buy the recipe book for myself...because everything sounded SO delicious. So our first attempt was Moroccan Chicken.

Chicken:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander
2 tbsp butter or veg oil
4 chicken breasts
1 c. diced onion
1 c. water
2 tsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp orange juice
salt to taste

Quinoa:
2/3 c. quinoa
1 1/3 c. water
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 c. pistachios

Combine cinnamon, ginger, turmeric & coriander in a small bowl and set aside. Melt butter in large saucepan. Brown chicken breasts on one side (5 minutes), turn and add onion, water, garlic, orange juice and salt. Toss in spices. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
Cook quinoa according to package directions using the quinoa and water.
Toss with butter, honey and salt. Stir in cinnamon and pistachios.
Serve chicken over quinoa.

I didn't have pistachios, so I used cashews, which were good too. I'd probably use less water in the chicken to make more of a sauce. It was delicious. And even the critics loved it. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment