Saturday, February 5, 2011

Southwest Quinoa Salad

Tonight's recipe is a taste of Mexico...in honor of the in-laws visiting our Latino neighbours.

Southwest Quinoa Salad:
2 c. water
1 c. quinoa
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. lime juice (about 2 or 3 limes)
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced jalapeno
1 1/4 c. corn
1 c. red pepper
1 can black beans
1/3 c. cilantro
1/4 tsp salt

Bring water and quinoa to boil. Cover, reduce and simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for 4 minutes. Fluff with fork and cool.
Place quinoa in large bowl.
Whisk oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin and jalapeno in small bowl. Stir dressing into quinoa. Toss with corn, pepper, beans, cilantro and salt.

Yummy. I'm not a huge cilantro and lime fan. I prefer the heat of Mexican cooking, like jalapenos, chili powder, and hot sauce. But my sous-chef loved this, and so did my family, whom I shared the left-overs with the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment